Re: [MV] GL

From: John K. Seidts (jseidts@astory.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 15:41:35 PST

NOBODY in the
> automotive world collects sales tax when they sell a car, it is the DMV
> that does that.
>
> Ray

Sorry, not correct. My friend used to manage the computer system for DMV
sales tax collection in MD and VA. The dealers do collect the sales taxes
from the customer, which they are then obliged to send to the DMV within a
certain period of time. The state spent much time and money to ensure that
this system works and is adequately supported. If not the same in all
states, I imagine that it is a similar system.