Re: [MV] GL

From: Ray Fougnier (rfougnier@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 16:35:13 PST

GL's original statement was that you don't pay a sales tax, that you pay
a registration fee at the DMV. That is not true. States want their
money and they don't care if you have to pay twice (NY is the worst at
this). What you wind up dealing with is the previously mentioned
personality who was interupted from break to help you. There is really
not much that can be said to change her mind on what you will pay and
why, once you are at the counter. I've been in arguments with them
before on this, and have always had to pay.

Now if it's a dealer, then I would expect the papers to show that I
paid, and they should go to the DMV for me. I've always paid at the
dealer and gotten my plates when I picked up the vehicle. I've never
had to pay tax twice, except in NY.

The whole idea that one state will recognize that you paid in another is
BS. Tax collecting should only be done at the DMV, in the state of
registration, in my opinion.

Ray