Re: [MV] I'm getting the 813A1 from Ted

From: ke6myk@sbcglobal.net
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 15:12:32 PST

Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:
> We'll, I've committed with Ted Hils to buy the M813A1. Now I'm
> wondering about the specifics of driving it. Its sufficiently big
> and crude as compared to the complex Wilson gear boxes in my Dingo
> and Ferret and the smooth Honda gear shifter in my Insight that I'm
> curios as to how exactly the transfer shifts are handled while in
> motion. Clearly theres ratios to take into account when moving that
> lever. Even so, how exactly does one make the transition from low
> range to high range? Is it as simple as clutch in, "gas" off, pull
> the lever, clutch out, "gas" on?

I can't comment on the M813A1, but I can comment on the older 5-tons
and the 2.5-tons. In those, the transfer case is synchronized, so it's
a bit forgiving of speed mismatches just like any synchronized
transmission, and the sound and feel will tell you whether it wants to
go into gear or not. Although the shifting isn't nearly as smooth and
precise as in my little Subaru WRX (a fast little all-wheel-drive
sports car with a little 2-liter turbo engine and a 5-speed gearbox),
the engine will undoubtedly have tremendous low-end torque and inertia
compared to your little Insight, so you should have little or no
trouble making it move. I learned to drive stick on deuces and
non-synchronized commercial trucks, and when I first got my WRX I'd
stall it a dozen times (really!) at intersections trying to get it
moving. Going back to the bigger trucks after learning to drive that
little rocket, I found that they were VERY easy to shift because
they're so much harder to stall at idle, thanks to lots of low-end
torque, lots of engine inertia, and a much mroe forgiving clutch. The
time it takes for the engine to speed up or slow down is very
different between a big truck engine and a tiny little car engine, and
of course the power band is MUCH narrower in a big truck, but I don't
think you'll have much trouble if you can drive a stick shift in a
little civvy car.

By the way, I seldom find it necessary to shift the transfer case
while moving. I generally stay in high range on the road, and in low
range in the dirt. Many folks like to shift from 2-high to 2-low when
they need to slow down to a crawl without stopping (i.e., for pulling
into a parking area or in stop-and-go traffic), but since I've learned
to double-clutch non-synchronized transmissions anyway, I personally
find it easier to double-clutch down into 1st gear (which is not
synchronized in the deuces and older 5-tons) than to bend over to
reach the transfer case lever. I suggest that you practice in an empty
parking lot or level field first, and see what works best for you.
Although I haven't driven a Dingo or Ferret, I'd imagine that they
don't stop nearly as quickly as your little Honda, so I'd guess that
you already have some experience driving a vehicle that doesn't stop
like a civvy car.

In summary, you'll probably spend some time getting comfortable with
your new truck, but I personally think it's easier to make the
transition from a stick shift car to a truck than the other way
around. You've probably already developed the finesse in your
clutching and shifting a lot more than is necessary to get a big truck
to move around.

Have fun with your new toy!

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <ke6myk@sbcglobal.net>