Re: [MV] From DOT 3 back to DOT 5?

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 15:57:19 PST

<I have heard of problems when mixing the two (something about sludge
buildup), unless the system is COMPLETELY flushed.>

I too have heard this rumor for years. In fact, it is what inspired me to research the actual government test reports relating to the decision to got to silicone brake fluid.

After two years of testing, EVERY military report noted no problems mixing the two types of brake fluid. No reaction, no percipitation, nothing. The ONLY problem reported was the loss of the "advantages" of the silicone fluid.

Going further, I had a laboratory anylisis run on the the mixture by a bona fide analytical lab. The result? The two fluids do NOT mix.....the remain two separate liguids in the system, they do NOT become a third new liquid.

Conclusion? Same that the army had, adding fluid of either type to a system filled with the other causes no adverse conditions (except in ABS systems) other than the loss of the non-hygroscopic nature of the silicone.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle