[MV] From DOT 3 back to DOT 5?

From: D O (dohe69@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 13:27:06 PST

It appears that a previous owner has flushed the brake system on my M35 and
put in DOT 3 (unless there is a non-purple DOT 5 that looks and smells
exactly like DOT 3?). DOT 3-looking fluid at the wheel cylinders also. It
looks fairly clean throughout.

I have heard of problems when mixing the two (something about sludge
buildup), unless the system is COMPLETELY flushed. Question is, am I better
off staying with DOT 3? I am going to flush it regardless, as that is
something I do to all used vehicles I buy.

While my vehicle does sit more than not, and I hear the military specifies
DOT 5 because of a lot of such inactivity, I really do not like the idea of
water separating and sitting at the bottom of the wheel cylinders or
wherever.