qaulity of hand tools

From: everette (194cbteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 15:51:57 PDT

I have read and enjoyed the various posts concerning tools, please permit me
to add my .02

I work on steam cleaners and high pressure washers, most of the time at the
customers place, these machines do not require the precision tools that for
instance a nose turret would require (and certainly not the skill level) and
I carry the tools I need with me, I very seldom break a tool, but often
times (too many times) will loose -leave - so I carry a very few "good" hand
tools with me, look in my tool box and you will find - Sun - Globe - and
some without even a name. Some (most) are of poor quality - for instance I
had to file the end of a 7/16 before it would go over nut.

However, my personal tool box that does not leave shop is quite different,
the tools in that box are name brand, good quality items.

Honestly I cannot say they work any better - perhaps it is a vanity thing on
my part??

As a side item I recently put enough pressure on my Snap-on brand, flex head
1/2 drive ratchet to break it at the hinge, tool salesman said I had put a
cheater bar on it and warranty did not cover that. I had not.

side note -- I purchased a Stanley brand replacement and it is even better
than the Snap-on and far less than half the price.

P S The Snap-on salesman was not willing to let me put a new ratchet in vise
and let me show him how I broke hinge - I broke it by putting socket on it
and trying to take a nut loose that I later found had been welded in place,
socket was impact design or quite possibly it would have cracked before
ratchet broke.

Everette