Re: [MV] From DOT 3 back to DOT 5?

From: Convoy Magazine (convoymagazine@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 16:13:40 PDT

hmmm interesting tale...

In North America dot-5 is synthetic, dot 4 is hi-po
regular...I believe in Europe dot-4 is the synth and
dot-5 is hi-po natural..but perhaps this should be
confirmed by our European friends.

Earliest forms of dot-5 SYNTH- did have problems
rotting old rubber seals. However this was quickly
rectified through a formula modification so that
niether NEW rubber nor OLD/antique rubber were
affected.

I've been running synth in old cars and motos for a
couple decades now, some of which still had original
cylinder seals..and never had a problem..

Nor did i flush system with anything other than the
flushing caused by (liberal) bleeding of the system
with the new synth fluid. In theory, trace amounts of
old fluid should have virtually zero affect on our
anitque applications.. (this would not be the case in
a racing situation mind you, but you're never gonna
get your antique brakes red hot!)

Never had goopy rubber as a result of this either,
though I've certainly seen perished rubber in my time,
and lines completely clogged with dried up gunk of
natural fluid.

I agree when buying a used "antique" check things
thoroughly and replace...ie assuming its a runner,
with apparently good brakes, I always immediately
replace brake fluid with synth, and all other fluids
as well. Then verify the brakes at an early
opportunity, brake hoses are always replaced (if your
seals were 'goopy' probably intereior of lines are
too!) steel lines thoroughly investigated and at
slightest doubt replaced.

anyway before it gets too long... although I'M NOT AN
EXPERT, I have some doubts that natural brake fluid
was the problem, and much greater doubt that synth
could be a problem, BUT who knows what products
someone may have inadvertantly put into the
system...strange things happen to old vehicles!!!

cheers
Marc