CUCV Transmission Trouble

From: rock1@mindspring.com
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 16:12:51 PDT

Calling all CUCV transmission experts! Ok, I just changed out two
transmissions in my M-35's.

Now after almost two years of perfect service, my trusty M-1008 Blazer
transmission has started acting up. The symptoms started out as a rapid up
and down shifting from second to third while accelerating. It seemed to
not want to shift up to third, like it couldn't find the gear.

I have an oil pan with a drain plug, so I changed the fluid. I filled it
properly, test drove it, and everything seemed fine. The fluid levels were
prefect when hot. One day later, after driving about five miles I checked
the level and it was over full. I drained a quart (two pints) and, after
frequent checking, the level held steady at full.

Can the transfer case pass fluid to the transmission?

In less than two days and 25 miles these symptoms got worse. Now it won't
lock up in third under any acceleration and acts like the torque converter
isn't locking at all. After limping home, the tranny smelled like the
torque converter was fried. I've smelled it before on other auto-trannies.

Are there any adjustments that can be made or components that can be
changed through the oil pan, on the vehicle, bands, high speed pump, etc.?
Or, am I looking at dropping the tranny (and the transfer) for a rebuild?

Does anyone have an NOS 400? Where and how much?

Does anyone in the Central South (near Nashville) have a bad transmission
with a good case that I can have, free of very cheap?
I have another good running tranny (when pulled), with a cracked case from
a GL forklift bent drive shaft, that I swapped out of my M-1008 Pickup. I
thought that I might be able to swap the guts if I could find a serviceable
housing.

All suggestions and recommendations welcome.

Sgt. Rock's Motor Pool
                and transmission changing marathon!