M43/M37 question on setting the governor

From: J (W7LS@blarg.net)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 17:26:59 PDT

    I have a M43CDN, which is alomost identical to a M37, up front.
Well, the M43 has a 251 engine in place of a 231.The problem is the
governor. The symptom is as follows: It starts fine, runs fine for a
while, then all of a sudden, the gas pedal has no effect on the
carburetor. It's like it became disconnected, but I checked and
everything is ok up to the carb/governor. Then, after a minute or two,
it starts behaving perfectly again. I've tried all manner of
incantations and even looked at the book (don't tell anyone!), to no
avail. I don't understand the governing mechanism. There is what appears
to be a dashpot for damping the return throttle in there. It's odd. Any
M37 carb experts out there? What size hammer should I use, and where
should it be smacked?

Thanks. Jim