Re: [MV] 6.2l question

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 09:37:07 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <Recovry4x4@aol.com>
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 6:18 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] 6.2l question

> Lets not forget that the HMMWV has the 24V solenoids on top. Tops can be
> interchanged from one DB-2 to another DB-2. There are numerous models of
the DB-2
> used on the 6.2 but they all bolt on and with some tuning should perform
> equally as well. These diesels sometimes get a pretty bad rap but they are
> pretty decent and economical engine, just a bit underpowered.
> Kenny

Yes, it seems the pump on the HMMWV is calibrated for a hotter fuel delivery
than those on the CUCV too. We sent a HMMWV engine out to the rebuilder who
nicked the injector pump off of it in part-trade for the work done, and he
then installed that pump on some 6.2 work truck belonging to the City. He
got accolades from the City crew who operated that vehicle as apparently
"whatever you did made it go like hot sh*t off a shiny shovel". Guess our
taxes are going up to pay for the extra fuel required though...

On the solenoids themselves, I've had quite a few failures. Sometimes it's
as simple as a cold-solder on the wire leading from coil-to-terminal, but
I've had at least two where the coils themselves spectacularly melt down and
leave a nice, visible 'cooked spot' right where they'd be in contact with
the diesel in the top of the pump. Nifty.