Re: [MV] 6.2l question

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 23:44:48 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn Shaw" <mpmutt@mtaofnj.us>
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 11:26 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] 6.2l question

> Hi
> It is the same animal. The engine was originally a design and product
> of Detroit Diesel Allison Div. of GM. (...)AM General who
> bought the rights to the engine and the production facility equipment
> from GM and sell the engines back to GM dealers under the Goodwrench
> Parts program.

The film company's prototype LAV-Striker has an off-the-shelf
'Targetmaster" GM 6.2 for a powerplant. I've never tried, but apparently
you can just order them through GM like any other part.

I'm pretty sure the HMMWV engine labels say "Detroit Diesel Allison" on
them, and from what I recall, they were taking GM 6.2 engines out of
declared CUCV vehicles for awhile there to be sent through the HMMWV engine
rebuild program.

(The manifolds and injector pump and stuff would be different of course, but
the block and heads etc. must be identical.)