Re: [MV] More on the tow bars

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 08:56:02 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Harris" <papercu@hotmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 12:36 AM
Subject: [MV] More on the tow bars

> I took some pictures of the types I've dealt with. Wayne
>
> http://ImageEvent.com/wharris19/towbars

That's the exact type I use to shovel things around too. I got mine at Sgt.
Gator's in Portland, Ore. some years ago, and between that one and another
of the same type out where I work, we've flat-towed dueces and basically
everything else less armour hundreds and hundreds of miles with no problems
whatsoever. We also use it with our M816 Medium Wrecker when we're doing
suspend tow with various vehicles, and our 816 even has a handy-dandy loop
and hook for mounting this exact type of medium towbar to the side of the
truck as stowed equipment.

The only headache we've had thus far was due to one bright individual on a
film set who figured that trying to back up a flat-towed duece - in an arc -
was a Good Thing to do. The towbar snapped right about where you'd expect,
and even though they welded it back up for us - I tend to use the undamaged
one for anything approaching stressful.

We have two types of adapters with ours, each with different yoke spread and
pin diameter. One fits 1/4 ton through M37 and CUCV (from what I remember),
and the other fits the M35s. When flat-towing the CUCV's we've found you
have to flip the adapters upside-down in order to give you the up-and-down
range you need, but other than that they work fine.

Listmembers will probably be *beyond* disgusted to learn that I've seen
pallet-loads of them in the scrapyard along with their adapters etc., and
some were even "low mileage" units which had the yellow instruction stickers
still stuck on them. No figuring Uncle some days.