Re: [MV] Nearline MV question on Compressor Wiring

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 17:53:55 PDT

Hi all.

        Sorry for not including all info I have in the initial post. And
thanks for all of the responses.
        If I go for the 'smaller ' compressor it will require 32 amps... and
the small moisture removing fridge next to it will require 6-8 amps.
There are a few other tools in the garage which will run while the
compressor is on: the blasting cabinet vacuum, a radial arm saw ( this
is while the compressor is running, not necessarily the blasting cabinet
), etc.
        Bruce Beattie came by today to take a look. Is this ' normal '? My
electrical service comes in on two wires which both seem to feed 120
VAC, and we are guessing the cable carrying the two hot lines from the
pole to the house is also the return ground.. ?
        Anyway my current thought ( after reading a bit, checking UBC codes and
what the NEC says ) is to have PG&E install thicker wires for the drop,
install a 200 amp service, split that into two 100 amp sub panels which
each go to their own circuit breaker panels: one would be the current
circuit breaker panel and one for the new connections. My thought/hope
is that by trying to put the 'closest common area' as far as possible
from the power using devices I'll help to reduce

           1: any possible electrical 'noise' generated by the compressor or
other equipment getting to the PC gear in my office
           2: dimming of the lights when something large fires up...

        Currently the lights dim when one of the three window A/C unit's
compressors turns on. Computers are more vulnerable to brown outs than
most electrical equipment... I have a decent sized UPS however I've had
great difficulty getting a clear explanation from the UPS vendors over
how 'pure' the power their units is... also how fast they react to brown
outs. Just edging for a slightly higher operational level for my poor,
downtrodden PC's. <g>

        A few of the responses suggested three phase power: that's hard to come
by in residential areas of N. California... especially in old
developments. The compressor is single phase 220 volt

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catalog/item/504747/206943.htm

        so AFAIK if I have wiring of proper width/capacity, good grounding and
solid connections I should have no problem running the compressor once
the new circuitry is in.

        Any additional thoughts are more than welcome. This won't happen this
weekend but I hope to do it within a month or so.

        Thanks again

                Paul