[MV] Nearline MV question on Compressor Wiring

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 18:05:04 PDT

Hi Guys:

        I pestered the list a year ago with questions about compressors and
blasting cabinets. I now have a decent cabinet which peels rust and
paint off parts of the trucks like using a power washer to remove mud
from a fender. <!! :]>
        However I've come up against a wall regarding the compressor. I have a
tiny 3.5 or 5 HP compressor which works when using the smallest tip on
the blasting gun however the compressor is rated at 15 amps and the
circuits in my garage are both 15 amps... After 20 minutes the circuit
breaker trips on either circuit.
        I've obtained two bids to upgrade the electrical service to my house,
however both are higher than I had hoped. I have little doubt they are
reasonable, but as most of it will probably be labor I wanted to look
into doing the upgrade myself. Part ( ok, a big part ) of the reason I
buy broken old things is to fix them up, learning how to do so in the
process. I figure that if I feel comfortable doing it and upgrade the
service/install the new sub panel in the garage myself I'll save enough
to allow me to buy the nice Eaton compressor this year, thus getting the
cabinet up to full speed.
        Electricity isn't complicated, just dangerous. ( ok, 'and' useful )
Might anyone have thoughts on where to look up info on ... say, wiring a
new addition for your house yourself? Or related topics?
        If I can save more than half of the cost quoted then it's well worth
it, plus I'll get familiar with household wiring and safety rules again.
  If not then I will have to find a work around until things free up a bit.

        As Always thank you for the ideas/thoughts/random abuse.

        Paul
        MVPA# 24986
        '53 REO M35 Fire Conversion
        '53 AEC Chevy 3/4 Ton