Re: [MV] Super singles, Jakes, and turbos on 800 series. When did that start?

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 21:49:37 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "J" <W7LS@blarg.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 9:17 PM
Subject: [MV] Super singles, Jakes, and turbos on 800 series. When did that
start?

> I'm doing a little research to try and find evidence that super singles,
> Jake brakes, or turbos were used on 800 series trucks back in 1970. Even
> if only some were made or modified that way, it's probably ok. My
> collector insurance says the truck has to be 'stock' or modified with
> stock parts from the era. I'd like to find evidence of an 800 series
> truck with one or all of those goodies on it. Photos or manuals would be
> great. Gene Pantano mused that it was about 1976 or so. Anyone else
> care to weigh in on this? Thanks. Jim

I have three ex-Canadian Army trucks at work with Jake Brakes fitted by the
military; an M816 wrecker, and two M813 cargos. They all have the stock
Cummins 250. I know for sure the wrecker is a 1976, and I *think* the
cargos are also, but I'd have to check for sure. I also saw another good
dozen or so M813 cargo trucks out in a holding area for a Canadian Air Force
bombing range which had also been modified for the Jake, so I'm guessing it
was a fleet-wide thing as respects the Canadian beasts. Every Canadian
truck I've seen has the standard 10-wheel arrangement rather than the Super
Singles, but that doesn't mean someone hadn't done it somewhere.

I have one M813 at work that was modified to a turbo by the previous owner
(including a seriously ugly hood modification), but I've never seen a
Canadian military 800-series with a turbo in service or surplused. Sure
would've been nice to have one on that M816!