RE: [MV] 2004 Aberdeen

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 17:32:59 PDT

Returned home at about 01:00 hrs this morning from a great trip! Traveling
in a convoy is the way to go, you never feel alone and who cares how long it
takes to get there, you think about the other guy and help out when help is
needed. Running point may be a bit more demanding, but Cabell did an
outstanding job leading our convoy North (and South)!

The only thing I can think of that will need attention is the communications
bit. Honking a horn or flashing light is not that easy to understand.
Bruce can probably tell us how the CB works with a noise cancelling mike...
The transmit mode on our CB didn't work. However, the VIC-1 intercom was
fantastic. We could talk normally and listen to the CB despite the noise
from the engine/exhaust without an insulated top.

My son, Adrian, and myself truly enjoyed meeting so many of you. Loved to
listen to your stories Cabell and Joe Young. Thank you Brian, for lending us
the cab top for the trip home. We didn't need it and were able to get a
really good sunburn from driving almost 1,000 miles with the top down.
The deuce ran well and averaged about 7 mpg for the trip. With the crane and
all, it weighs about 18,000 lb. A minor problem included a leaking rear axle
seal and unmatched tires after installing the spare. Will freewheel the rear
for next trip.

Thanks Joe and your brother for a tasty shrimp and potatoes dinner! Well
done.

Thanks, Mark for lending us additional pads to sleep on.

It was inspiring for Adrian to connect with Brian, Blake and Jonas who are
close in age (I think). One of these days his M37 will have to make space
for a deuce, I'm afraid.

I also want to thank the many of you for your kind words related to my
articles in MVM.

I spent a lot of time by my deuce and am sorry for not having taken the time
to visit you John Adams.

I think that the number of visitors to the show were below average, but a
lot of trading went on between vendors and participants as far as I could
tell.

The fluke of winning a pair of 1100 tires in the raffle can not go
unmentioned. As many of you know one of my tires had to be replaced because
of a gash in one of unknown origin (I got the tire used and it may have been
defective from day one). The tires were not in Aberdeen and we drove to
Halifax, NC to meet John Winslow, who had donated them for the raffle
(Thanks!). Sonny and his wife Ida came along after Cabell went on home on
the return trip (again expertly leading us through the traffic around
Baltimore and DC. Sonny had a chance to work on his slipping clutch problem
with John Winslow helping out and was still at it when Adrian and I headed
for the mountains of Virginia. Thanks Sonny for the use of your cell phone!
Enjoyed visiting with you and your wife.

All in all a great experience.

Bjorn