Re: [MV] Fuel price and China

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 07:19:16 PDT

At 6:52 AM -0700 5/15/04, Convoy Magazine wrote:
>I think Ryan has it right ( in message at bottom)
>

>China will be the next superpower. We are already
>foolishly sending far too much of our manufacturing
>capability there, where they will soon become a centre
>of R&D capacity as the west slowly loses it.

I'd have to see more of this. Most of the Bio
Tech is here and even the Chinese Grad students
that come over here to learn with intentions of
going back to china, tend to want to stay here.
Once they get a taste of the US they like it. I
found this out by the number of Chinese that were
working at my mom's Lab at Emory hospital and how
many of them worked to get their spouses over and
get some kind of visa to stay.

Many companies have shipped Tech Support
positions over to places like India and are
starting to realize it's not so cheap a labor
point as they thought. There are other hidden
costs that are driving a return of the tech jobs.

>As their economy picks up, someone elses will decline,
>ie "the west" and with China's added economic power
>comes more truck and rail and air traffic (fuel
>consumption) wealth to buy things like tens of
>thousands of new cars, with a further huge increase in
>fuel consumption..meaning of course our prices go up

That's a matter of increasing fuel production
here. Hence the need to tap the Northern
reserves. That's how I understand it's working.
The economy is lubricated and run on petroleum.

>Jane's has already reported many times that china is
>also very quickly modernizing its military capabilty
>and is rapidly closing both the technology and numbers
>gap with the US.

They have a long way to go in order to really
challenge the US and I'm pretty sure the USN is
watching very closely. Their lack of a carrier
force really hinders their ability to challenge
us. You don't build a functional carrier force in
a few years. It takes a decade or more. At that
point the USN will have plenty of warning.

>Again it is important to support you own economy and
>fellow workers. So what if it costs a couple of
>dollars more. I'll buy domestic to keep my neighbour
>working, and he'll buy domestic to keep me working.

Well, you have to be careful with that domestic
rule. Some companies like Honda, are nearly as
American as US car makers and typically treat the
work force better.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)