Re: [MV] Fuel price and China

From: J Travis (dagobert@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 09:46:31 PDT

Marc, there's more to it than just the Chinese that are threats to the
economy. If I can cite an example recently posted on another list from
the web:

>PROOF THE TERRORISTS HAVE WON: Girl Scout troops in Martin County, Fla.,
> decided to have a Mother's Day "scavenger hunt" at the Treasure Coast
> Square Mall. Fathers would accompany their daughters and go "window
> shopping" for items on the hunt list, marking them off as they spotted
> them, and then shop for a nice present for Mom when they were done. At
> least 150 father/daughter pairs signed up, but mall management wouldn't
> allow the hunt, citing "security" concerns in the post-9/11 world.
> "Since Sept. 11, we have looked at our security procedures very
> closely," said mall spokeswoman Rachelle Crain. First, "How do we know
> they're Girl Scouts?" she said of the uniformed 5- to 18-year-old
> girls. But, more importantly, "Our enhanced security prohibits us from
> hosting events that allow participants to wander freely around the mall
> area." (Stuart News) ...Right. Their dads could whip out a concealed
> credit card or something.

We need to get our own nation's core principles back into the shape that
allowed it to become an economic power in the first place. All this
paranoia about terrorists is being used against us to manipulate our
population into accepting all manner of violations against them. Under
Clinton, it was "for the children". Under Bush, it's become "or the
terrorists win". Meanwhile, gas continues to soar, the job market for
any job that doesn't require the phrase "you want fries with that?"
continues to stagnate, and more and more businesses either move their
own production overseas, or just get the Chinese to do it for them, and
then bring it back here to dump in our shores. The traditional method
of pumping up the economy, by having a war to both create jobs and lower
the population, isn't working this time, and all of this weighs into the
consumer's ability to, well, consume. And what little they DO have left
is usually spent bargain hunting at the local Wal-Mart, where those few
pennies saved on chinese junk mean paying the over-priced utilities,
food, gasoline, insurance, medical bills, etc. So while I agree with
you in principle about the need to support American workers and American
companies, the fact remains that to do so, we need to push for more than
blind loyalty from consumers- we need to reform our government to create
an environment where people can have enough discretionary income to
CHOOSE to do so.

Jay Travis