Re: [MV] Rust in lamp housing

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 05:25:33 PDT

Paul,

I like "Ospho". Should be available in hardware and paint stores. Search
for it on Google and read about it. It is a great rust remover too. Just
don't leave high carbon metals, or "white" metals in it for any extended time
(I am still looking for a small part or two... "did I loose them in the shop
or did they become that black goo in the bottom of the plastic coffee jar").
White or pot metals will be dissolved quite quickly if immersed in the
product.

I often get a bit anal about rust and brush Ospho on an area such as your
tail lamp housing, let it stand a few minutes, re-wet the area with Ospho and
use a stainless steel scouring pad, a "Scotch-Brite" pad, or dental picks to
remove all traces of the rust.

Claude.