Re: [MV] Rust in lamp housing

From: Ron (rojoha@comcast.net)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 05:54:45 PDT

Hey Paul.
    Not sure whether it was Sprit or Opportunity that took your photos, but
I have to agree that there is evidence of water present on that surface at
one time.
    Could you contact mission control and ask them to step down the
magnification and Image size? It's kinda hard to figure out what the image
shows due to the pixellation, and my 'puter takes too long to scroll from
left to right and top to bottom for me to get the 'big' picture.
    For folks who also had a problem like me, go here to see Paul's problem:
http://cards.webshots.com/cp-79878905-sDKL-album/143807209gtbEWO

    But short answer is use a conversion coating and then paint and use a
good silicone sealer and don't drive through salt water that's chest deep in
the cab and you should be fine. Extend or what ever will stop the remaining
rust and it doesn't appear to be in a load bearing or stressed area. What
does the outside of the same area look like? Any perforation or break
through? Didn't look like it to me. Will it be visible when the truck is
put back together and shot with the final coat? The only one who is ever
gonna know there was rust in there is you.
    Or, just buy some NOS lights or good take offs when you come across some
at a rally that are reasonably priced. Spend the time on the things that
matter or you'll drive your self nuts. An 85% finished and useable
'reasonably' restored truck after 10 months is much better to the psyche
than a 10% 'perfectly' restored truck still yard bound after 10 months.
Unless it's drive train, wiring and/or safety related, don't sweat the small
stuff. Ya can always go back latter to make things 'perfect' between parade.
    Kerry, feel free to jump in here....

    Regards, Ron