[MV] Rust in lamp housing

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 17:09:44 PDT

I am blasting the rear brake light assemblies for the Deuce today. Most
of the rust and paint are coming off easily, however both housings have
areas inside which are almost impossible to clean with the blaster as it
sits ( only 5-7 CFM and a very small nozzle on the gun ). These areas
are likely where water leaked into the housings and sat for years.

I'm not concerned about appearances as these are on the inside, but
wonder about structural integrity. Photo 3 is the best as it shows the
cleaned housing and the remainder which was blasted for 5 minutes with
little success. Should I find a rust neutralizer and bathe the area in
that? Or might this just be dead metal, no chance of rust coming back if
I paint it now? I wonder because I have the rest of the truck to go, and
many parts will be a bit larger than these :}

http://www.paulathomas.com/images/Brakehousing1.jpg
http://www.paulathomas.com/images/Brakehousing2.jpg
http://www.paulathomas.com/images/Brakehousing3.jpg

Thanks!