Re: [MV] CBs?

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 10:49:22 PDT

At 1:05 PM -0400 5/17/04, Charles Kealey wrote:
>Ryan,
>
>I don't know about 24 volt CB radios but you may want to check with a marine
>(boat not gun toter) supplier. Some of the older boats were operating in, I
>believe, the ranges of 24 and 32 volts. Some of the marine suppliers may
>have radios set up this way.

I called a couple of CB retailers and they say there aren't 24 volt
cbs out there. I'll probably try connecting a CB radio to one of the
batteries, but, I'll get a DC-DC unit. One company I've bought
products for work makes a DC-DC (20-34 vdc to 12 vdc) converter that
can also be configured to charge batteries. That might be the ideal
thing. Add a 12 volt battery into the truck somewhere for accessories
and running them when the truck is off. The units are marine spec
(not water proof, but resistant to corrosive salts, etc) and have
vibration kits as options.

http://www.newmarpower.com (DC-DC converters Neg Ground)

>The CB does work in the duece but you will also need a way to hear it. I
>have a 24 volt to 12 volt power inverter in the cab and run the CB off of
>that. I also put an amplified speaker in the cab which just hangs with
>cable ties from the rear and uppermost top bow. That also makes it easy to
>remove when showing off the truck in its natural state. I was running the
>music radio, CB/amplified speaker and some other gadgets off of one battery
>but this proved to be a problem on long trips. The batteries that I have
>are not the full size military ones and have a tendency to run down one
>battery while charging the other. I know nothing about how electricity

Well, when you pull enough amps from one of two sets of batteries in
series, it puts the lower charged battery into a lesser state of
charge. As I understand it, as a battery is charged it's internal
resistance goes down putting less amperage into it to charge. But,
when you have a lower charged battery in series with another, the
battery that's been drawn down, pulls more current and as such causes
the 'full' battery to be over charged, causing it to start to boil
dry. I had a battery in the Ferret that was down over the other and
caused this kind of problem. I bought some deep cycle marine
batteries that had secondary posts to allow individual monitoring and
charging of each battery if need be. So far I've not had any
problems, but the leads are there to tap into and check.

Remember, any gauges in the truck are showing the net voltage of the
two batteries (four in some cases). If they're out of balance, that
won't be apparent.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -