Re: [MV] CBs?

From: Charles Kealey (cwkealey@charter.net)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 10:05:30 PDT

Ryan,

I don't know about 24 volt CB radios but you may want to check with a marine
(boat not gun toter) supplier. Some of the older boats were operating in, I
believe, the ranges of 24 and 32 volts. Some of the marine suppliers may
have radios set up this way.

The CB does work in the duece but you will also need a way to hear it. I
have a 24 volt to 12 volt power inverter in the cab and run the CB off of
that. I also put an amplified speaker in the cab which just hangs with
cable ties from the rear and uppermost top bow. That also makes it easy to
remove when showing off the truck in its natural state. I was running the
music radio, CB/amplified speaker and some other gadgets off of one battery
but this proved to be a problem on long trips. The batteries that I have
are not the full size military ones and have a tendency to run down one
battery while charging the other. I know nothing about how electricity
works other than something to do with the gods of sparks and flames so if
something that I was doing was wrong I am not bright enought to figure it
out. However, on my last trip with that configuration I made it about 400
miles and started to experience trouble even though the gauges were showing
all things good. It started to get harder to start when I stop which is
frequently. Finally, it just wouldn't start the engine. I was experienced
enough to have parked it on a slight slope and disconnected the electrical
stuff that was draining the system. The truck started quickly on the first
try by coasting it backwards and popping the clutch. Yes, the gearshift was
in reverse. And no, I have never had the engine run backwards. Entirely
different thread. <evil grin inserted here>

After installing the inverter I have had no problems with the charging
system keeping up both batteries.

Now, if I could only locate some reasonably priced universal joints so the
truck can move under its own power. <sheepish grin>

Bill K.
MVPA #24623
1954 USMC M38A1
1972 US Army M35A2 non-turbo w/winch