Re: [MV] M151A2 fuel in crankcase

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 23:18:36 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "m35products" <m35prod@optonline.net>
<mil-veh@mil-veh.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 10:25 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] M151A2 fuel in crankcase

> I had a Dodge car with a 360 engine with thermo-quad carb that did that.
The
> sickening sound I remember was the fire engine sirens coming to extinguish
> the totally-involved engine compartment. The gas flowed out the air
cleaner
> and got ignited on the exhaust manifolds. I saved the two rear tires and
not
> much else.

Ow. There's a Jensen Interceptor at work with a huge double-pumper carb that
spews gas out of every orifice imaginable - some even by design. It
percolated and had float problems and needle problems and all sorts of other
problems which handily reminded me why I don't work on civvy stuff anymore.
Yarf. The first time I tried to start the thing I had a nifty bonfire right
away, but sadly, no weenie-roasting sticks. Didn't matter. I'd forgotten
the words to "Kumbayah" anyway. (The Jensen survived - much to the chagrin
of the motoring public.)

I ignored my 151 percolation problem too long, came back home after a two
week international sojourn, fired it up, and knew something was wrong right
away given the nasty dry start. About 30-40 km later I had a nice plume of
blue smoke following me around town knocking birds from the sky, so it was
pretty apparent that 15W40 doesn't like being 15W40/ 87 Octane. It was
toast. I kept running it anyway and lost a conrod bearing shortly
thereafter. I'm sure the word "moron" springs to mind about now, but at the
time I wasn't aware of the extent of the fuel dilution problem. I got a
rapid education.

Seems to me that a shutoff valve/petcock in the gas line itself between
either tank and pump or pump and carb would be helpful for the "parking it
for two weeks" scenarios like the above, but failing that - dunno. You can
usually tell if you've got raw fuel slopping into the manifold because
you'll get puffs of black smoke out of your tailpipe as you're driving, or
people from behind pulling up beside you with their eyes watering (like
those following work's old M54 gasser with the prehistoric Holley carb!
Would've been cheaper and more efficient to pay someone 8 bucks an hour to
sit on the block with a jerrican and pour raw gas down the manifold.)

("Accelerate, Gunga Din! I said *Accelerate*!!")