Re: [MV] generator woes

From: jeffery j alberhasky (jalberhasky@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 16:33:49 PDT

Not sure what model generator ya have but they all work pretty much the
same......As mentioned check the brushes, if they look worn down, replace
them but I would also take the armature to a rewind/repair shop and have
them put it on "growler" to see if any of the winding have overheated and
shorted out....very common problem with an overworked DC generator. If
it is ok have them turn the commutator down and check the field windings
for proper resistance (?) and check for a short to ground. Should read
open to ground. Make sure the generator is polarized. ( you did
polarize it, did you not?)

good luck.