Re: [MV] M800 series power upgrade package available

From: Dave Barbieri (Dave.Barbieri@marshall.tstc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 14:07:25 PDT

Hi Jon -

The cost to machine the block for the jet thingies would be pretty
steep, if you could even find someone willing to tackle it. It would be
cheaper to simply buy a used N-series block. To look at a short block
and tell if there are cooling jets installed, look below the exhaust
manifold where the block widens out for the crankcase. You'll see 6
little humps sticking out of a main oil gallery that runs the length of
the block casting. If you see allen head bolts, there are cooling jets
installed. If you see just a flat surface, no bolts, then there are no
jets. Considering the primary purpose of a turbo is more air/more
power, adding a turbo is not a recipe for success.

As Jim points out, any time you start playing with performance mods on
diesel engines, a pyrometer and a boost gauge are absolutely essential.
Install the probe 6" downstream from the turbo turbine outlet. At this
point, you're looking at 1100 degrees Fahrenheit as your max. Boost
pressure is determined by fueling. The more fuel, the more heat, the
more boost.

Dave

>>> <uniquemachine@cybcon.com> 6/1/2004 1:29:49 PM >>>
I wonder if piston cooling is something that can be added on? Are
there any diesel mechanics out there that are familiar with the
Cummins motors?

Jon

> Hi, Dave.
> The piston cooling might or might not be a problem, depending on
how
> one drives, I'd guess. There is guy out here that has ugraded
> several NHC250 engines and not one has gone bad. Maybe if you are
> pulling heavy loads up huge, long hills it would be more of a
> concern. A pyrometer might be a good idea, too. Jim
>
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 6:35am Dave Barbieri
> <Dave.Barbieri@marshall.tstc.edu> wrote: > Adding a turbo will
> generate a LOT of fun for a short period of time. > <grin> The
> concerns about piston cooling are valid. The normally > aspirated
NHC

http://esbd.tbpc.state.tx.us/surplus/federal/pictures/SD43854003002.jp

http://esbd.tbpc.state.tx.us/surplus/federal/pictures/SD43854003002-1.

http://esbd.tbpc.state.tx.us/surplus/federal/pictures/SD43854003002-2.
> jpg > > > > > Dave Barbieri > Diesel Equipment Technology > (903)
> 923-3246 > (903) 935-9554 fax > dave.barbieri@marshall.tstc.edu > >
> y'all. Sorry) > If anyone is interested in hotrodding their M800
> series truck that > has the standrd NH-250 (I think that is the
> designation for a non turbo > 855 small cam 250 Hp Cummins engine
that
> the mil uses), I have the stuff > to kick it up to 350 Hp. That
> includes the turbo (for more wind), bigger > injection pump (more
> fuel) and bigger injectors (bigger holes for more > fuel). > This
is
> working takeout from an engine that spun the main bearings. > Beyond
> that, I can't guarantee it. $650 plus shipping from 98019 (kinda >
> near Seattle). I'll put it on a small pallet or in boxes, depending.
> > don't know the weight, but it's under 100 pounds. Let me know.
Jim

<mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>