Re: [MV] M800 series power upgrade package available

From: Adam Suess (ajsuess@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 20:39:35 PDT

Dave and list,

I was told by several mechanics that the first 855 Cummins did not have oil
cooled pistons turbo or not. Is that true? We have 2 turbo versions but both
newer 1979 and a 1990 with oil jets. Another question I have is I picked up
a xm 813 for the fire dept last year and it smokes black at 2,100 rpm no
load it does smoke more under load but not much. It also seems very sluggish
for 250hp. At first I thought it was a plugged air filter or restriction
some where but that was not the case. It starts good, uses no oil and runs
good other wise. Just that it smokes black with no load. Is that normal for
a Nat asp 250? Or do I have problems like timing? Our turbo 855's don't
smoke at 350hp in a ford 9000 tractor and 375 hp in a Case IH tractor . We
were and still are considering adding the turbo off a salvage engine to the
XM 813 for the number of hrs we use it I don't think we would melt it down.
Thanks, Adam Suess