Re: [MV] 2.5 versuses 5 ton trucks - CDLs

From: Ida Heath (spike@defuniak.com)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 05:24:28 PDT

Dave,

About eighteen months ago I did the very same thing with a 1996 Freightliner
Condo. I stretched the frame ten foot longer and now my RV Toter is 38'
long from bumper to bumper. Florida DMV gave me the OK to do it after I
explained what my intentions were then eleven months later when I was ready
to register it they no longer honored their OK to register it as a
motorhome. They got their legal department involved and final answer was
that I would be forced to register it as a truck, go through weigh stations,
maintain log book, get Ifta sticker, high dollar tag, high dollar insurance,
etc, etc. I asked for the name and telephone number of the individual
making the final decision and informed them that I was on my way to my state
representatives office with my attorney. At this point, which was ten days
in to the arguement they decided to give it a totally new name, give it a
year of 2003, new vin number, new title, etc. Now my full coverage insurance
and tag cost about three hundred dollars a year. I drag a thirty two foot
gooseneck from the two and fivesixteenth inch ball and I also put on a class
three hitch on the rear at the bottom. I went ahead and did mine up as nice
as any you will see out there complete with diamond plate aluminum around
the sides, storage underneath much like a Greyhound, etc. Good brakes, good
power, roomy, ability to haul thirteen ton on the trailer, and I wave at the
weigh stations. Many people have told me that it is only a matter of time
until people with rigs like mine will be challenged by the DOT everywhere so
I suppose I have some bridges to cross still.

Sonny