T-34's as Tigers in "Kelly's Heroes"

From: GOTaM35 (GOTaM35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 13:28:07 PDT

I finally bought Kelly's Heroes on DVD and watched the movie again with
great scrutiny. I am concerned the white halftrack tank destroyer didn't
have the little dip in the windshield for the gun barrel, but figured there
could be one out there with like that, but I figured the Tigers had to be
fake. Much to my suspicion as soon as I got a good look at them I noticed
the road wheels and drive sprockets of the T-34. Once again one of my
favorite child hood memories was dashed as yet another phony was discovered.
Even so they are very convincing Tigers.

Am I right about the T-34's? If so, does anyone know anything about how
they did it and what ever happened to them? It would seem there would be a
little use for a replica Tiger or Panther in the movie industry. That would
make a worthy project after I finish restoring my Scout Car (sometime in the
year 2010 at the rate I am going).

Joe Trapp