Re: [MV] Licensing big rigs without a second mortgage

From: Ida Heath (spike@defuniak.com)
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 19:23:04 PDT

I agree with Lee, I don't believe that they have the authority to do all the
things you say they will do. I've been to about twenty or more states in my
RV Toter and have only been stopped twice and both times they said I had
broken a law but I think it was just an excuse to stop me and check me out.
Iowa let me go after seeing that I was registered as an RV and told me I
need to get my right rear turn signal fixed. He said that he understood that
I was registered an RV but I still fell under certain DOT rules. I was very
respectful to him and asked which rules he was referring to and he said
"well, just certain rules" so I said nothing more and he did nothing other
than to bid my wife, my Boston Terrior and myself a good day.

Then there was this asshole just north of Louisville, Kentucky who had a car
pulled over on I-65, I slowed down, tried to get over but couldn't due to
the left lane being tied up so I slowed down and proceeded past him. He
threw up his hand as I passed and then chased me down saying that the law in
Indianna requires motorists to yield by getting over when an emergency
vehicle is on the side of the road. My kindness and explanation didn't work
on him however, he was hell bent on giving me the $92.00 ticket and asked me
if I understood that if I didn't send in the money that I would be arrested?
I called the clerk of the court and requested to see a judge, was given
something they call a bench trail and the bastard didn't show up for court
so the judge threw it out. The court was ten days after the stop. The
county procecutor asked the judge to reschedule the trail and he said "NO"

People have got to understand that Joe citizen have rights in this country
and must ask to see charges in writing if they have doubts. The law puts on
their britches the same way I do, one leg at a time and I'll be dammed if
they are gonna bluff me. I would bet that there isn't one law enforcement
officer in ten who know the law before going out and writing tickets, thats
why they just write tickets on what they figure the judge will go along with
usually. I've always said that there are talkers and then there are do'ers
in this world and about two thirds are talkers.

Sonny
Heath