Re: [MV] Licensing big rigs without a second mortgage

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 12:54:31 PDT

>From my experience, which is about 28 years of driving and currently doing
50K miles per year, I'd say a good 30-50% of the cops I run into are less
than reasonable.

I had one guy who saw me burning some stuff in my backyard that apparently
he did not approve of. He got out and told me the thought I was breaking
some law and sat in my driveway for 45 minutes going through books looking
for something to charge me with. In the mean time he called the fire
department because "the fire department had to be called to in situations
such as this"?? According to the cop. I told him, I will put it out
myself, and he objected, but I did it anyway. I got the hose, dragged it
over to the fire and put it out myself. The fire department guys showed up
(they are a local volunteer group) and ran around asking where the fire
was. I told them it was in the back yard. They went and looked at it and
said, yep it's out. I told the firefighters what had happened and they
said, that cop's a total axxxxxx, he does this kind of thing all of the
time to us. They left. Another good hour went by with this cop sitting in
his car in my driveway trying to figure out what he could do. Meanwhile
the Amish down the road were burning their fields and ditches. (no
kidding) He finally gave me a ticket. I had to show up in court, got a
$100 fine and left. I was burning some oil soaked paper towels and wood in
my fire pit from a spill.

Regarding the option of not paying the ticket, when you are 300 miles from
home, it that really a viable option? Not unless you are really upset.
They definitely have the upper hand.

Dave