Re: [MV] Deuce carrying capacity

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sat Jun 26 2004 - 19:32:06 PDT

IMSHO, there are few tasks a US MV will fail at. They are designed with
the lowest common denomameter in mind: that the operator will have the
brains of a snail, or will be in a situation where that level of
planning will make them ROFL.

Legal considerations of your locale aside (!!) I would suggest trying it
and see what happens. the WORST that could happen would be that you had
to off load some of your cargo and carry less each load.

I say this tongue in cheek. I was in the Army in the late 70's.. once
in a while we had a truck we KNEW needed to be rebuilt, yet the things
wrong with it did not qualify it for such loving treatment. Thus, in an
effort to save the taxpayers money, we would take the truck out on the '
tank trails ' tho there were no tanks in sight.

Sometimes it would take us 2 months to ' break ' the truck to the point
where Depot level would take it. My lower back can guarantee that much
of this driving involved airborne time in a Deuce or 5 ton. Little
motivates the average 63B like knowing he can't even order the required
parts to fix the problem... thus we were motivated to move those we
couldn't fix to Depot level.

         Paul

**********************

I'm wanting to haul water and Norwesco has two tanks that would fill my
requirements on price & dimentions. One is 1250 gal. & the other is 1500
gal. and IS preferred IF the M35 will haul it short distances (less than one
mile) at 5 - 10 mph.
http://www.norwesco.com/Index.cfm?Section=LST&Page=LST04

The 1500 gal. tank weighs 650#. Water @ 8.34#/gal. x 1500 = 12,510 + 650 =
13,160# total weight.

Has anyone consistently hauled this much? I accidently had 15,400# in gravel
once & didn't realize it until I got the dray bill, but that was once. Your
opinions please????? What is the MOST you ever hauled?

Pete Zimbelman peterz@dnet.net Robbinsville, NC 28771