Re: [MV] Levels of Maintenance

From: John Seidts (jseidts@astory.com)
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 05:48:28 PDT

This brings a point up in the discussion between Sonny and Paul about what
is written and what really happened. I had a friend who was a battalion
maintenance NCO in a field artillery battalion in the Pacific in WWII. I
have read extensively on the TO&E's of WWII units and was in the US Army
from 1985 to 1997. During my first two years, I was in the combat support
company of an infantry battalion, which had the standard TO&E, with the
echelons above and below, and can say with some certainty (the BN
Maintenance WO was a friend of mine) that they DID do maintenance above and
beyond their allowances in order to have vehicles fielded. I know this
wasn't true everywhere, and that Sonny definitely knows what he is talking
about, but I remember pulling power packs out of jeeps (M151) to swap them
out to keep things running. I also remember that when the officers were
around, we were NOT allowed to be caught doing such things, as this spoiled
their conception of TAMMS. But the BN maintenance WO was grateful for our
extra help because he really liked going to the old man and having the same
number of vehicles deadlined (ones that were completely worn out and just
not worth fixing) which he knew he would not get back from echelons above
for 4-5 MONTHS (and the old man if he was worth anything, knew the same
thing)!

In WWII, I think that they used the system set up at the time to full good
measure, and this was because they needed the 11 Bang Bangs out doing their
job killing Germans or Japanese, not hanging around the motorpool changing
radiators, etc. My friend who was a company commander in WWII, and other
anecdotal sources, were pretty emphatic when they described that if
something broke, they left it in place, with a guard or a few guards, and in
a few hours or at most a day, they had a replacement vehicle ready to go-
usually not the same vehicle. Very often, these came from the Divisional
supply pool, which probably drew them from the higher units rebuild shops,
which were also made from consolidating the resources of several subordinate
units into a location where things like major rebuilding could be
accomplished without interruption.

Interesting subject, though, and I wonder how the maintenance guys are doing
in Iraq/Afghanistan with the present system- but I'd like to hear the NCO's
take before I heard the Officer's opinion!