CANIBALS

From: SGM Eugene Pantano (truks@cs.quik.com)
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 21:39:33 PDT

I have been watching ..and trying to stay out of the subject of
cannibalizing Military Vehicles.....
a subject I am very informed on. For years....too many to admit to...I have
been right in the middle of the cannibalization of vehicles for the US
Army..
I guess you all have never heard of a "CANN POINT" ..?? What do you think it
is..?? It is a place, near a Maintenance Shop, that is used for the storage
of un-used - broke down - red-lined and various vehicles that may or may not
be complete. Repair of these vehicles is not economically feasible. When a
Battery, Company, Battalion...or whoever ...If they need a part from one of
the vehicles at a "cann point"... They will send a "Authorized" parts
scrounger there to get whatever part they need...he/or she - must have
written authorization to get into the "point"...except in COMBAT AREAS....
Sometimes, most of a vehicle will go with the scroungers. This has been
going on in the Army since the Last Supper..and will continue forever and a
day... Without cannibalization, combat areas, and line operations could come
to a screeching halt. Ordering parts in Iraq, and receiving them in a timely
manner is out of the question... My old Unit..which I am in constant touch
with....does not order parts. They are removed from various "deadlined"
vehicles. If there is no part available on any of the vehicles at a cann
point...then the dead vehicle winds up there as a "parts bin"....
This is how it is done gents..like it or not. It save thousands of
dollars...not to mention the expedience of getting a vehicle back in
action.......
I have actual photos and films of a Unit in the Korea War...doing just what
I am talking about. Why do you think busted up vehicles - to include
tanks...were hauled back to a certain holding area...? It was for
cannibalization...at the cann point. !! out here..................Gene