RE: [MV] 4th of July...+ 2 cents on Canibals

From: paul carrier (paulc@teleport.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 12:13:11 PDT

Most commands hold the go to war NBC suits and atropine
at theater depot level. Same with filters for masks.
And the stocks held were much less than what should have
been considering SOP's and the "book" rate of replacement.

Ammo is under a different fund cite. And most years we don't
get what the TRADOC STRAC manual says we should get for training.
In the last year my BN had to postpone IWQ to give our allotment
for that quarter to a unit that deployed.

CAMS are still in short supply, the facility on post is the DOD
rebuild site for DOD. They are running 2 shifts and could run a third
if there were CAMS to rebuild at that rate.

Guard units don't keep a full PLL, they use the now standard
"just in time" system. They order in or go local purchase.

> The Saratoga suit with the activated charcoal had
> an original stated open package life of 7 days.
> The commanders wisely started questioning the
> discard after 7 days rule and upper echelons
> adjusted thinking and SOP to reality. If they'd
> stuck to your mode of operation (the books the
> book, stick to the book) they'd have discarded
> suits after what ever the original open package
> life was and troops would have been unprotected.
> As it was, a suit would last far longer than 7
> days if cared for when opened and stored away
> when not needed.

8 hours of exposure to a known chemical agent.
And they do degrade after opening. But they
can be worn for longer periods if there hasn't been any exposure
Units have a suit per troop for training purposes and the go
to war suits held at depot.