Re: [MV] Off Topic: Nat'l Guard Redeployment

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sun Jul 04 2004 - 10:49:03 PDT

Great post Steve! Sadly lacking political rantings but informative :]

I DO wonder if anyone has taken the time to look at whatever flimsy
contract the Guard troops agreed to. I say 'flimsy' because Congress can
basically do what it wants to military people with a few exceptions.

Thanks for taking the time.

   Paul

Solutions? Withdraw from Iraq in military failure (not an option!),
drop the "my way or the highway" attitude so allies will cough up large
numbers of troops so we don't have to, institute a limited draft, large
scale mobilization of the NG (which is, in a sense, a draft), or back
out of long standing security commitments in other parts of the world so
the resources there can be redeployed to the ME. Yup, none of these
options are all that good, but that is what happens when politicians try
to run wars instead of the military professionals.