Re: [MV] MV Posts

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 11:05:58 PDT

Okay Ken...let me try.

I just read an older (1999) article in a magazine about the fact that if
Caterpillar Tractor Co. has their way we will convert from diesel fuel
to a cleaner burning natural gas engine. They say further that they have
begun to manufacture kits to convert their C-10 or C-12 tractor trailer
engines to liquified natural gas. The cleaner burning fuel is 90%
natural gas and 10% diesel. One company that has already converted says
that it no longer (annually)puts 74,000 pounds of particulate in the
air...(60+ trucks)...the article goes on to say that the company has
reduced fuel costs and has 25% longer engine life. Now, has anyone heard
anything lately about this old technology? And if so, is there still
savings between the diesel and natural gas. Inquiring minds want to
know...the 25% part sounds like a plus...and the subject matter on the
board needs to roll over.

PS Sonny...if you're gonna start an argument on this post...please
don't respond to it...thanks. Fred Martin