Re: [MV] Two questions... M35A2 tow bar and DOT 5 brake fluid

From: GOTaM35 (GOTaM35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 20:43:28 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex" <alex@glx.net>

> I've got to tow the new beast home next month and would like to use a
> tow bar and a heavy duty pick-up truck. I only have to tow it about 35
> miles. so I was thinking of making a tow bar. I already have a lunette
> ring for one end and was planning on pinning the bar to the shackle
> mounts on the 35's front bumper. My questions are how long should I make
> the tow bar arms?

>Am I nuts to try this?

If you try to tow the truck I would have to say... yes.
I pull a trailer everyday with a F-350. I have tried (tried being the key
word) to tow a deuce one time. It only took 50 feet for me to realize it
was a bad idea. It was the same feeling I had when I was on my roof trying
to put up a TV antenna and noticed I couldn't stand on the pitch with out
holding on to something and envisioned my corpse on the ground 20 feet
below. Thought about the funeral and all. I got off the roof. I also got
out of the truck after 50 feet. I feel confident towing as we call it would
have to be illegal. If you have any doubt about that ask a DOT guy what he
thinks.

There are things in life worth taking a risk with. That big heavy truck
with no brakes and no desire to follow you tied rigidly behind a smaller
vehicle is not something to take ANY chances with. I hope I am not coming
across too strongly here, but I truly believe towing a deuce can be deadly.
I will never try it again. In fact, I'm not sure why I still have my tow
bar.

As for making such things (deuce tow bar), I tried that and would advise
against it. I consider myself to be an EXCELLENT welding.

You guys that like to tow deuces can call me pansy if you wish. I would
rather be a pansy, hopping and skipping along, than a REAL man in a body
cast.

Keep it in the road,
Joe Trapp
(I'll be 40 next week, am I getting soft?)

PS. Here's a picture of how to do it safely
 http://www.joetrapp.com/pages/958685/index.htm
Look about half way down.
I'm always willing to help out a brother in need with a haul, if you live
with in one hour of Blythewood SC.