Re: [MV] [Politics] Election just a formality ??

From: Royce C Hayes (rc_hayes1@juno.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 10:01:41 PDT

See Answers Below:

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:31:22 -0600 "Hutterer, John (MPAU)"
<john.hutterer@smiths-medical.com> writes:

> Royce,
>
> I just have to ask this question, since I apparently don't
> understand
> the presidential election process as well as I thought that I did.
> You
> were elected to be an Elector at the recent Republican convention
> in
> Texas last month. You have already stated that you are going to
> cast
> your vote for Bush. Is this your vote to confirm him as the
> Republican
> candidate for president, or is it something else? Are you saying
> that
> you are going to cast one Electoral Vote for Bush as President,
> after
> the November election? I seems to me that, if you were elected to be
> an
> Elector, and that position entitles you to cast an Electoral Vote
> in
> November, you should have been elected to your position in some
> other
> manner than by having it happen at the Texas State Republican
> Convention. I mean, that pretty much guarantees that you will vote
> for
> the Republican candidate. Where is the fairness or representation of
> the
> people in that?
<SNIP>

In Texas, the candidate that wins the popular vote receives his
designated slate of electors. In other words, Pres. Bush wins all his
electors that were elected at the Texas Republican Convention.

<SNIP>

I assume that there is such a thing as the Texas
> State
> Democratic Convention? If there is, do they get to elect there own
> group
> of Electors? Do they get to cast Electoral Votes in November too? If
> so,
> don't you tend to cancel each other out?
<SNIP>

The Dems do have their own set of electors, but, unless Kerry wins the
popular vote in Texas they do not get to vote. Personally, I feel that
there is little to no chance that Kerry can win Texas.
<SNIP>

Maybe you could clarify
> this
> situation for the list? I can't post to it, or I would have asked
> this
> question in a more public manner. I am really curious.
>
> John

Royce