Re: [MV] unsafe army trucks

From: Marc Strangfeld (curlyjoe98@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 04:02:58 PDT

Dave

Thanks for the link. The articles are interesting but
you can tell they were written by a misinformed (is
moron to harsh?). I would have to agree that lack of
training is the problem. It should be obvious that
these trucks are dangerous if not driven properly.
There has been quite a bit of discussion on safety and
rightly so, but in regards to the M35 you still can't
do much about the non-telescoping steering wheel, hard
steel dash, lack of ROPS, lack of shoulder belts, etc.
so proper driving is the only practical solution. I
let many people drive my M35 but only with me sitting
next to them giving safe driving instructions. The
most important I feel is, "slow down!, don't rev it so
high, don't shift so fast, turn corners slower, slow
down sooner", after a while they get the idea.

I don't know the full story about the M939 rollover,
and it surely is sad, but what business does a
unqualified operator have in running a truck to full
speed and applying the brakes "hard" to test them.
Sounds like negligence.

At least these articles are based on military
accidents and haven't got into the civilian
accidents...yet.

Marc