Re: [MV] Deuce wheel hub question

From: Robert Ternes (racecadet@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 20 2004 - 08:40:39 PDT

Pardon my ig'nance, but is that 2lbs spec for the
front or rear spec? Since this is a fullfloat axle,
isn't the cosmolene itself used for the bearing
lubrication? If so, there is all the cosmolene in the
diff to serve as the reservoir, which is why you see
more than just a "hub's worth" (which I believe is an
avoirdupois measurement) of grease on your brake
shoes...

Now, when assembling, standard FF axle practice is to
jack the axle back and forth in a seesaw fashion to
fill the hubs with grease before topping off the fill
hole. I always put some assembly grease on the
bearings, however, since I consider it cheap insurance
until I've gone around enough corners to make sure the
hubs are right greasy enough.

Cheers
Bob Ternes
1968 M35A2, 2 fullfloating axles
1994 Grand Cherokee, Dana 60 / 14 bolt FF hybrid axle
1978 Chevy K25, just finished pulling FF 14b axle

--- Patrick J JANKOWIAK <patrick.jankowiak@st.com>