Re: [MV] CANIBALS

From: Greg (czechsix@cox.net)
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 11:35:23 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick J JANKOWIAK" <patrick.jankowiak@st.com>
To: "Greg" <czechsix@cox.net>
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 6:34 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] CANIBALS

> It would always be the parts, since we don't have them in the US.
> 1-4MPG, that's really low, but maybe it is common for light armor. The
> 4 I can see, but the 1 bugs me.
>
> So,what parts generally are most troublesome on these monsters? It's
> very interesting.
>
> Patrick

Well, armor never gets good mileage.

There really weren't any unusual problems with the Tatra's. They've been
proofed for decades, and the concept since the '30's. There was the usual
rust on the cabs, clutches worn, brakes worn or out of adjustment, etc. But
then again, anything that has a friction lining can be relined, and the
various slave and master cylinders can be done by someone like White Post.
Electricals were OK, tire size is kind of a pain to get over here since it's
a 21" wheel. But anyone that deals in old Warsaw Pact stuff can get them.
Bits and pieces of the GS trucks can still be had from breakers in Germany
and CR. The SKOT small trim stuff will be harder to find though - far fewer
of the APC's about. But from what I've seen, most of them are fairly
complete.

Greg

<mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>