Re: [MV] ** Witold Grzymala-Busse ** RE: [MV] A train load of M1's spotted in KC KS

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 17:51:48 PDT

At 8:02 PM -0400 8/2/04, Steve Grammont wrote:

>All true. But if I am the enemy and I know what the SOPs are for a given
>situation, I can devise a way to exploit their weaknesses. And if I know

As we saw with the Maintenance procedures thread
the first to throw the book out are our own
officers.

>exactly what the TO&E is of a particular unit I can know what to expect
>if I attack it or am attacked by it. More sophisticated enemies can also
>identify what communications systems are in place, then figure out how to
>get a working example (or at least data on it) so they can devise a
>method of disruption. Then they can be sure if they run into x unit that
>it uses y system which can be jammed using z disruption method. I have
>all the FMs on STRYKER Brigades, down to the platoon level, so I also
>assume the enemy does as well. At least one that is sophisticated enough
>to care about it in the first place (and Ahab the Mad Bomber isn't likely to).

TOE doesn't get you close to jamming systems on
the right Freq and the com systems these days are
pretty damn hardened against jamming unless you
have a large power source and large antenna. I
suspect we have a number of tricks up our sleeves
from expecting to fight the Soviets who had lots
of jamming capability. I'd expect that as soon as
such a jammer cranks up, it's going to have a
life measured in seconds if not minutes.

>My point is the same as yours... highly detailed information that is, in
>theory, useful to our enemies is out there in abundance. Direct from the

I think we agree, but I think the US military is
probably better served by having those Basic FMs
on the public internet vs on the secure Milnet.
The more of our guys we can train effectively the
better off our units will be. The Distance
learning has to be trading in dividends in the
reserve and guard units that would be even worse
off with out easy access to materials.

>US government in some cases. For example, if someone wants to find out
>the weaknesses of the Abrams, all they have to do is look on US
>government websites for detailed AARs from the initial assault on

But getting on the flank of an Abrams, close and
able to put an RPG round into the crew area like
the other golden shot will take a lot of balls
and a lot of men to get there. Our guys are
highly trained and highly motivated, they give
far more than they take.

I think we're agreeing here. We both seem to
think however that what intel is available is
largely useless for the Insurgency. It's a number
of small window's all of which must be threaded
to take down an Abrams, even when you do so,
you've just pissed off the crew and pissed off
the other 3 Abrams that operate in that platoon
and other units that might be nearby.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)