A different M35A2 brake problem

From: JoeYoungInc@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 18:08:59 PDT

A fellow over in DE called me a little while ago about a
problem he's having getting his truck through inspection.
He had a leaking wheel cylinder on the front right and the
brakes on this wheel didn't hold, so he failed inspection.
Now that he replaced the seals, wheel cylinder and brake
shoes, he has encountered a strange problem. He failed
inspection again because the right front was not braking as
strong as the left front. The inspector called it imbalance.
When he installed the shoes, he took care to make sure drum
contact was correct, bled the system and adjusted the shoes.
The strange part is, the better he makes the right side work, the left side increases its reading on the brake machine
proportionally. In other words, the better he makes the right
side work, the better the left side works, maintaining the
imbalance. I asked about the flex line at the backing plate
and he said they checked that and fluid flows right through
it showing no sign of restriction. He had a 5-ton air jack
with him and tried several adjustments to both sides, but still had the same problem after five tries.
On this trip to the inspection station, they informed him
that he must have a muffler, even though the turbo truck is
thirty some years old. I told him some people have installed
a non-restricting muffler and I would try to get him a part
number for it. Any Listers have this info?
Since he uses the truck for work on a farm (Farm Tags are not an option for him), he can't go with antique/historical tags.
Thanks for any help you can give this guy, he's good people.
Joe Young