M35 headgasket job completed

From: Marc Strangfeld (curlyjoe98@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 19:50:23 PDT

List,

I just finished replacing the headgaskets in the
deuce. Everything went fine and it took me and an
experienced mechanic 10 hours. I only pulled two
lifters out of their bores. Roger (my helper) only
dropped one head nut down a push rod hole in the head.
 Not a bad record if you knew my style. Memphis
Equipment does carry the good gaskets and shipped them
promptly. Adirondack Dodge Parts had the "u" shaped
wrench for the six nuts on the drivers side and also
shipped promptly. I bought an entire gasket overhaul
kit locally and now have some extra new style
headgaskets if anyone needs them. I learned that
Hercules is still in business. Their website has a
toll free number and the real people on the other end
are very helpful. I talked to Craig in the machine
shop and got some good advice on torque
specifications. My engine is a 89' and the block is a
"TD" block. I used 160 ft. lbs. torque instead of the
old block spec of 130 ft. lbs. I also got some
photocopies out of a manual that I don't have from a
local guard unit regarding the valves and procedures
for setting the clearances.

The old head gaskets were the old two piece style.
Does anyone know what the slots are for on the
manifold side? They seem like a poor design. Overall
the whole project went well and the piece of mind
knowing there are new gaskets is worth more than the
cost of actually doing it. ie, roadside
breakdown=$$$.

Thanks to all for their advice.

Marc