Re: [MV] Green color for USMC vehicles

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 15:36:29 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin M Rush" <chesnimnus@juno.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2004 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Green color for USMC vehicles

> Thank you for the help, but I guess I need a little help here
> understanding. Semi-Gloss, Full-Gloss, or Lusterless Forest Green and
> Lusterless Olive Drab, are those a particular color that any paint
> manufacturer will know, or is there a code that I need to identify those?

There are exceptions, but the way the Federal Spec 595 is set up, the number
of the colour also dictates the finish. For instance, 14052 is a Glossy
USMC Green; 24052 is a semi-gloss USMC Green, and 34052 would be the
Lusterless USMC Green. It doesn't work with 14087/24087/34087 for reasons
unknowable, but I think it does for the majority of the other colours, even
though the colour often *looks* somewhat different when three samples of
nominally the same paint are viewed in each of the different levels of
glossiness.

Our local mixers of automotive paint can make stuff up from the book using
the FS 595 numbers, and achieve the semi-gloss and lusterless versions of
the glossy colours by mixing in flattening agent ("talc"). Same often goes
when you get the paint mixed up in single-component Industrial Enamel
locally too. I've personally found it's just as easy to buy the Gillespie
or Aervoe paint already formulated in the right colours and finishes through
outfits like Rapco and Beachwood Canvas instead of causing a bunch of
head-scratching at the local NAPA or wherever. Then you just need reducer,
a mask and no wind. :)