Re: [MV] Green color for USMC vehicles

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 17:34:14 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "chance wolf" <chance_wolf@shaw.ca>
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2004 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Green color for USMC vehicles

> There are exceptions, but the way the Federal Spec 595 is set up, the
number
> of the colour also dictates the finish. For instance, 14052 is a Glossy
> USMC Green; 24052 is a semi-gloss USMC Green, and 34052 would be the
> Lusterless USMC Green. It doesn't work with 14087/24087/34087 for reasons
> unknowable, but I think it does for the majority of the other colours,
even
> though the colour often *looks* somewhat different when three samples of
> nominally the same paint are viewed in each of the different levels of
> glossiness.

Eh..sort of. I always thought the colour formulations themselves were the
same between the 1-, 2- and 3- types of the same listing, but evidently
they're not. Check out a great reference at:
http://www.ipms-earth.com/fs595b/ for the various formulas and some colour
samples (which won't likely show up "true" on the average monitor, but
possibly on your Inkjet.) They also explain how the fs 595 numbering works
on the index page if anyone's interested.