Re: [MV] Pyrene Fire Extinguishers

From: Bobby Joe Pendleton (bjpendleton@charter.net)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 18:22:08 PDT

I think "Pyrene" is the manufacture of the Extinguishers. Carbon
tetrachloride is what is in them.

do a search on it, you will find all you ever wanted to know about it.

High exposure to carbon tetrachloride can cause liver, kidney, and central
nervous system damage. These effects can occur after ingestion or breathing
carbon tetrachloride, and possibly from exposure to the skin. The liver is
especially sensitive to carbon tetrachloride because it enlarges and cells
are damaged or destroyed.
Kidneys also are damaged, causing a build up of wastes in the blood. If
exposure is low and then stops, the liver and kidneys can repair the damaged
cells and function normally again. Effects of carbon tetrachloride are more
severe in persons who are heavy consumers of alcohol.

If exposure is very high, the nervous system, including the brain, is
affected. People may feel intoxicated and experience headaches, dizziness,
sleepiness, and nausea and vomiting. These effects may subside if exposure
is stopped, but in severe cases, coma and even death may occur.

BjP
"Maneo Qualis Manebam"