Re: [MV] m35a2 emergency brake problem

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 11:01:17 PDT

Without knowing the details of what your brake will or won't do, it is difficult to diagnose the specific problem. However, from your remark with respect to the design, coupled with the terminology you use, the problem may be in perspective.

If one looks at the original specifications and contracts for these trucks (and the G-744 five tons as well), you will find that the do not have "emergency brakes." Rather, they have parking brakes. The specifications state that this manual brake be capable of restraining the loaded truck on specific gradiant. (for skeptics I can dig the specifics out if I must). No where does the specifications state that the manual brake be capable of halting a moving vehicle.

All this being said, I have been told, but have not investigated, that if the truck has been driven with the parking brake applied the shoes can become glazed and no longer hold.

Also, there is a fancy U-bolt under the cab the prevents the brake cable housing from moving, you should check and make sure that this is secure.

There is a "coarse" adjustment to the cable at the shoe end. The in-cab adjustment is for fine tuning, and does not have enough travel to do all the adjusting.

HTH,
David Doyle