Re: [MV] M35 Turbo upgrade: Thermocouple and Pressure Gauge

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 18:23:57 PDT

>..... manufacturers mount the pyrometer sensor on
>the discharge side IE: after the turbocharger so you raise the limit to
>1200 F to allow for the cooling effect the turbo has on the exhaust gas as
>it passes through the turbo.

Ahhhhh, seems to me you just disproved your own case. If the exhaust
temperature is 900 degF before the turbine and the turbo 'cools' is then how
is it going to end up coming out at 1200 degF???

The fact is that the temp drops thru the turbine as a function of how much
work your taking out of it to drive the compressor. The only way the output
can rise is if your driving the compressor.

>... But the Pyrometer
>sensor is still mounted after the turbo about 6 inches from it.

The reason I prefer to mount the probe after the turbo is that in the event
that the probe would break off, it would not do any harm.

> No offence Dick but if I have it wrong so do Mack, Cummins,
>Detroit,Caterpillar, and a whole host of Diesel engine builders.

So your saying that Mack, Cummins, Detroit, Caterpillar and others all make
engines where you will measure exhaust gas temperatures higher after the
turbine than before??? All due respect to you experiance but, that is
thermodynamically impossible.

later,

je